What if. . .

Monday, February 15, 2010

A story and a point

Writing - you give it everything you have. Sometimes that's enough, sometimes it isn't.

When I was 11, I started on this story, it was my first attempt at writing, and it was the best thing i ever wrote - so I thought.

I look through it now, and there are a couple sections that I want to burn. The voice is awkward throughout most of it, characters make ridiculous mistakes and do things that don't really make sense - all for honor. As you get to the end, though, you begin to see it change. The voice becomes a little smoother, plot holes begin to mend, and it gets better.

And then I stopped writing it. I stopped writing.

Then I found inspiration, I began writing again. This time, the story was better. And it went on for a few months, then I dropped it. I had become very interested in one of the secondary characters, I began writing about her.

So many versions poured out of that decision, and not all of then were very good.

That characters name was Sorrow Fleetfoot, I am currently on my . . . umpteenth version, and enjoying every minute.

The point to this story? (Yes, there actually is a point to this story.)

Writing gets better the more experience you have, and the more you do it.

2 comments:

  1. Certainly. I've looked back over my previous Azalea versions and you can really see a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, same goes for almost everything. A few months ago I redrew characters that I doodled when I was 7 or so and was amazed at the difference.
    However much I want to throw all of my old notebooks into the fireplace on this cold and windy day, I resist the urge because it's my history of improvement.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, if you found the above post interesting and have something to say about it - please leave a comment after the beep.